Ick factor
I taught my first science lesson today, and loved it! I was amazed by the level of thought I was able to draw out of my students today--especially those from whom I did not expect a high level of involvement. It was particularly interesting to see how those who are typically high performers seemed unable to step outside of their strictly structured and directed learning boxes to think about new concepts differently. It was a pleasant surprise to see such confidence from the kids who usually have nothing to contribute.
On a lighter note, we had several students out today--sick with whatever nasty virus is going around the classroom. We lost 2 more students at lunchtime, having to be sent home due to high fevers. By the time we made it back to the classroom, most of those left decided they were all running fevers. Someone even suggested that they must all have "swine flu" and that we'd better "evacuate". It was pretty funny to witness how quickly they could whip themselves into a complete panic! Poor babies!
Anyway, we sanitized the room by wiping everything down with clorox wipes after lunch, and then spraying the room, desks and chairs down with what I can only guess is some hospital-grade sanitizer that the school district has distributed to all classrooms. You can never be too safe, I suppose! I think I'm going to go dip myself in a bathtub full of hand sanitizer now!

0 comments:
Post a Comment